Bayer Leverkusen’s CEO unveils ‘gentleman’s agreement’ to let coach Xabi Alonso go

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Bundesliga - St. Pauli v Bayer Leverkusen - Millerntor-Stadion, Hamburg, Germany - April 20, 2025  Bayer Leverkusen coach Xabi Alonso after the match REUTERS/Carmen Jaspersen/File Photo

Bayer Leverkusen coach Xabi Alonso had a remarkable career playing for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Real Sociedad.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

Bayer Leverkusen and their coach Xabi Alonso have a “gentleman’s agreement” that would allow the Spaniard to leave if one of the clubs he played for during his career calls him up, the German club’s chief executive Fernando Carro said on April 21.

The 43-year-old Alonso, who had a remarkable career playing for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and his childhood club Real Sociedad, has been rumoured as the strongest candidate to succeed Carlo Ancelotti at Real.

Ancelotti’s future is uncertain following their Champions League quarter-final exit.

Multiple reports suggest he could step away from his position at the end of the season to fill the vacancy as Brazil’s national coach, which could further open the door for Alonso’s return to Madrid.

The former Spanish international, who is under contract until June 2026, has done an excellent job at Leverkusen in his short coaching career. He led them to their first Bundesliga title, ending Bayern Munich’s 11-year domination, as well as triumphs in the German Cup and DFL-Supercup and the Europa League final – the only game Leverkusen lost in 2023-24.

“We have a gentlemen’s agreement that if any of the teams he has played for calls, we would sit down and talk and we wouldn’t put any obstacles in his way,” Carro told reporters in Madrid, before attending the Laureus Awards.

“(Last year) Xabi had offers from important clubs but he assured us that he would stay with us. Maybe it is a bit early to talk as the season is still ongoing.

“Maybe things can happen. So we have given ourselves some time to decide... We are very calm and there is not much more to say other than that.”

Carro added that Leverkusen’s relationship with Real is “excellent” but said there has been no contact whatsoever regarding Alonso from the Spanish club.

“We are not naive, but the position of the coach is very important for a club and we are preparing the next season with him,” he said.

“We have been working with him every day, he is fully involved in that preparation. We are a very professional club and we have to be prepared for everything.

“If at the end of the day there is interest from another club and he is interested in going to that club, we have a relationship that we would have to talk about.

“Xabi’s will is important in this, he respects us a lot and we respect Xabi.” REUTERS

See more on