Boxing: Dillian Whyte slams WBC champ Tyson Fury's 'dirty' tactics

Tyson Fury (left) knocks down Dillian Whyte during the during the WBC heavyweight title in London on April 23, 2022. PHOTO: REUTERS

LONDON (AFP, REUTERS) - Dillian Whyte has accused Tyson Fury of "dirty" tactics during the World Boxing Council heavyweight champion's victory at Wembley on Saturday (April 23).

Fury appeared to push fellow Briton Whyte after landing a devastating uppercut with one second to go in the sixth round round, eventually forcing referee Mark Lyson to stop the fight.

The decision allowed Fury to retain his world title.

However, Whyte believes the referee should have penalised Fury for shoving him before his head thumped against the canvas.

"I was buzzed but obviously I was trying to regather my senses and he proper pushed me and I fell over and hit my head on the canvas, which is illegal," Whyte told Sky Sports on Monday.

"This isn't wrestling, this is boxing. I should have been allowed extra time to recover and then carried on fighting.

"I got caught, no doubt about it. I got caught by a good shot. I was hurt, I was trying to get my senses together and he full on, two-handed pushed me. It wasn't like a one-armed thing.

"I should have had time to recover, time to go back to my corner, but Tyson Fury gets away with a lot of things."

Whyte claimed Fury headbutted him after he suffered a gash over his right eye, the first time the Briton had sustained a cut in 31 professional fights.

"He kept on leaning down to the side and putting the head in and stuff like that," he said.

"He leans down and he put the head in, he clashed with me and I got the cut and obviously the ref started telling me off.

"The fight spiralled a bit, until he started punching me in the back of the head. I started doing it to him and then his corner started throwing water and stuff like that, which was a bit crazy.

Tyson Fury (right) lands a punch to knockout Dillian Whyte in the sixth round at the Wembley Stadium in London. PHOTO: AFP

"I kept on getting all the blame. He was the one that was holding, he was the one that was headbutting and being dirty in the fight."

The undefeated Fury (32-0-1) said after the fight that he was likely to retire, keeping a promise he made to his wife Paris, but Whyte said he was eager for a rematch.

"He (Fury) said he would retire. I hope he doesn't retire, because I want another go," added the 34-year-old. "He said, 'You're a good fighter, a true warrior, you're going to be a world champion'.

"I'm not a sore loser. You win some, you lose some, this is life."

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.