Scott Robertson demands ‘redemption’ from All Blacks pack ahead of second Rugby Championship Test

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

New Zealand's Head Coach Scott Robertson announced four starting XV changes for the Aug 17 match in Auckland.

New Zealand's Head Coach Scott Robertson announced four starting XV changes for the Aug 17 match in Auckland.

PHOTO: AFP

Google Preferred Source badge

Coach Scott Robertson on Aug 14 handed his All Blacks forwards a chance for “redemption”, after revamping his backline but leaving the pack nearly untouched for the second Rugby Championship Test against Argentina.

He announced four starting XV changes for the Aug 17 match in Auckland, following last weekend’s shock 38-30 loss to the Pumas in Wellington, with ex-captain Sam Cane also included on the bench.

Three of the changes are in the outside backs, with Robertson making just one switch among the forwards as Tamaiti Williams replaced neck-injury victim Ethan de Groot.

“I think every All Black forward pack, after a result like that, it’s a chance for a bit of redemption. And, you know, they’ve owned it,” Robertson said.

Prolific try-scorer Will Jordan replaces Sevu Reece on the right wing in his first Test start since the 2023 World Cup, having undergone shoulder surgery.

Caleb Clarke takes over on the left wing from Auckland Blues teammate Mark Tele’a. Experienced Blues centre Rieko Ioane is recalled in place of Anton Lienert-Brown.

Until de Groot’s injury, Robertson was planning to field the same starting forwards who were outplayed by the more committed Pumas pack last week.

“Look, we learnt a lot last weekend, we all did. They’ve got to go and put it into action. That’s been our focus.”

Cane is recalled to the bench despite the 32-year-old flanker’s plan to retire from international rugby at the end of 2024 to take up a Japanese club contract with Suntory Sungoliath.

The 95-Test veteran’s last All Blacks appearance was as skipper in the World Cup final in October 2023, when he was shown a red card for a high tackle in the 12-11 loss to South Africa in Paris.

Robertson said he wanted Cane to provide a sense of calm late in the game, something he felt was lacking in Wellington, where the All Blacks squandered an early lead.

Argentina have made three changes to their starting side, including the return of skipper Julian Montoya, who missed the first Test with a rib injury.

Montoya reclaims the captaincy from flanker Pablo Matera and demotes hooker Ignacio Ruiz to the bench, meaning there is no room in the squad for 39-year-old Agustin Creevy, who scored a decisive late try last week as a replacement.

Montoya said he vowed not to let Creevy down.

“Of course Gus (Creevy) is an inspiration and he helped me throughout my career, so I’m going to be grateful for that forever,” Montoya said. “I have the opportunity to bring fresh legs and give everything for the team.”

Glasgow prop Lucio Sordoni replaces Eduardo Bello while Joaquin Oviedo is promoted from the bench, pushing Marcos Kremer to lock and Franco Molina to the bench.

Meanwhile, winger Marika Koroibete will play his first Test of the season for Australia against South Africa in Perth on Aug 17 after being named in the starting side.

Coach Joe Schmidt made five changes to his starting line-up from the team who were thrashed 33-7 by the world champions last weekend and named uncapped outside back Max Jorgensen and flanker Seru Uru for potential debuts on the bench.

South Africa coach Rassie Erasmus had previously announced that he would make 10 changes to his starting XV for the Test in Perth, where they last played a 23-23 draw in 2017. AFP, REUTERS

See more on