Badminton: Momota out with back injury, most Indonesians to skip world c'ships over virus worries

Kento Momota has had a turbulent two years since a career-threatening car crash in Malaysia. PHOTO: AFP

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Defending champion Kento Momota has withdrawn from next week's badminton world championships with a back injury, while most Indonesian players have pulled out due to coronavirus concerns, officials said on Wednesday (Dec 8).

The world No. 2's back problem had already forced him to withdraw from the World Tour Finals in Indonesia last week, and the Japanese player has returned home.

His withdrawal from the world championships is a further blow for Momota, who has had a turbulent two years since a career-threatening car crash in Malaysia.

He flopped at the Tokyo Olympic Games in July, and was recently overtaken as world No. 1 by Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen.

All Indonesian players who are members of the country's national association have withdrawn from the championships over Covid-19 worries, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) governing body said.

Spain, where the tournament takes place in the city of Huelva from Dec 12 to 19, is suffering a surge in Covid-19 cases, like much of Europe.

The BWF said in a statement that it was "disappointed" with the Indonesian decision and "regret that the withdrawal took place after the draw".

Two Indonesian players who are not affiliated with the national association will still compete in the mixed doubles, their club confirmed to AFP.

The BWF said a "comprehensive set of safety protocols" is being implemented for the tournament, which will take place inside a bio-secure bubble.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.