Two children trapped in Nee Soon South home as fire burned in kitchen; SCDF called in

Two children were trapped in their home while cooking was left unattended on June 29, 2016.
Two children were trapped in their home while cooking was left unattended on June 29, 2016.PHOTO: FACEBOOK/LEE BEE WAH

SINGAPORE - A fire broke out in the kitchen of a Nee Soon South flat on Wednesday (June 29) night, alarming two children who were home alone.

Nee Soon GRC MP Lee Bee Wah said in a post on her Facebook page that the two children, aged eight and nine, didn't have a key and could not open the door.

Although the fire was limited to the stove, there was smoke coming out of it and one of the children called the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF), The Straits Times understands.

SCDF said it was alerted to the incident at Yishun Street 51 at 9.18pm. It sent one fire engine, two Red Rhinos, two fire bikes and one support vehicle.

Ms Lee told ST that the fire engine arrived at about 9.30pm.

"The firemen told the children to turn the stove off, and they cut the gas supply from outside the house," she said.

SCDF officers, neighbours and Nee Soon grassroots leaders stayed with the children, a boy and a girl, until their father arrived about 20 minutes later, she recounted.

Ms Lee said that the mother of the children works the night shift while their father works in the day.

He had happened to come home late as he was working overtime, while his wife had left for work.

Unfortunately, she had left a pot on the stove and forgot to turn it off.

Ms Lee said her purpose of posting this incident online is to remind parents not to leave their children alone at home without keys.

She suggested asking neighbours to help look after the children.

"It's good to see residents helping each other," she said.