Go-Ahead hires more than 93 per cent of target number of bus captains ahead of launch

A Go-Ahead bus in the new Loyang bus depot's workshop, on June 16, 2016.
A Go-Ahead bus in the new Loyang bus depot's workshop, on June 16, 2016.ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

SINGAPORE - Go-Ahead has hired more than 93 per cent of its target number of bus captains, the British firm said on Thursday (June 16) at a media briefing at the Loyang Bus Depot.

The fourth bus operator here, which is expected to begin operating some time in the third quarter of 2016, has hired 655 bus captains so far, of whom 65 per cent are Singaporeans and permanent residents. Of the remaining 35 per cent, 68 are  Malaysians.

About 350 of those hired are existing SBS Transit bus captains making the move to Go-Ahead. The British firm won the second contract last November under the government's new bus contracting model.

It expects to hire the remaining number of bus captains by next month.

Overall, Go-Ahead has hired about 90 per cent of its target 900 staff strength, of whom 60 are technical staff.

During the briefing Go-Ahead managing director Nigel Wood said the company is "likely" to submit a bid for the Seletar bus contract, which was called on June 7 and will close in October.

He stopped short of confirming Go-Ahead's bid in the third government bus contract, adding that the firm had to consider factors such as price; but he said that it would conider future packages.

"Go-Ahead intends to stay and grow here," he said.