Circle Line disruption: SMRT isolates power system cubicle that caught fire on Sept 18

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Photo taken at Bouna Vista MRT on Sept 17, 2024

Around 7.30pm MRT announcements on resume of services.



A power fault on the Circle Line (CCL) on Sept 17 caused delays of about 30 minutes during the evening peak-hour commute.

SMRT said it would also continue to work with LTA and the two manufacturers to determine the root cause of the fire.

PHOTO: ST FILE

Follow topic:

SINGAPORE - The power system cubicle at Kim Chuan Depot that caught fire on Sept 18 and led

to a second consecutive day of disruptions for Circle Line (CCL) passengers

has been isolated from the network, as SMRT engineers worked overnight to ensure smooth operations on Sept 19.

In an update on Facebook, the rail operator said it worked closely with the original equipment manufacturers and the Land Transport Authority (LTA) on a joint recovery plan during engineering hours to ensure stable power supply to the 35km MRT line.

SMRT said it would also continue to work with LTA and the two manufacturers – German conglomerate Siemens and a company called Ideal – in a joint investigation to determine the fire’s root cause.

The parties will also assess if the incident on Sept 18 was related to

an earlier power fault that crippled the CCL

for nearly two hours during the evening peak period on Sept 17 and caused 11 trains to stall in the rail line’s tunnels.

“We appreciate all commuters’ patience and apologise for the longer commutes over the past two evenings,” SMRT said.

At about 8pm on Sept 18, several trains on the CCL stalled for about 15 minutes after a fire broke out in one of the power system cubicles at Kim Chuan Depot, leading to a power trip that disrupted power supply to the entire line.

Power system cubicles are large metal boxes containing transformers that control the voltage of the electrical energy being transmitted.

SMRT said its engineers extinguished the fire and restored traction power by 8.10pm. Normal train services resumed progressively from around 8.15pm.

The day before, the CCL suffered a traction power trip that disrupted train services at 5.50pm.

Although power was restored by 6.05pm, SMRT staff had to manually recover the 11 trains that had stalled inside the CCL’s tunnels. Train services resumed fully at about 7.45pm.

In the 12 months ended March 2024, the CCL was the least reliable MRT line and the only one that posted a dip in performance – clocking 1.03 million train-km without service delays that lasted more than five minutes, down from 1.21 million train-km in 2023.

The rail service reliability statistics exclude the Thomson-East Coast Line, which is not fully opened.

SMRT had previously said that half of the CCL breakdowns during this period

were due to upgrading works to integrate existing systems

with the 4km Circle Line Stage 6 (CCL6), which will close the loop between HarbourFront and Marina Bay stations.

Slated to be completed in 2026, CCL6 comprises three new underground stations – Keppel, Cantonment and Prince Edward Road – and the expansion of Kim Chuan Depot to more than double its current size.

Among the upgrades being made to the CCL, which opened in stages between 2009 and 2012, is the enhancement of the line’s power supply system to improve its resilience.

In 2019, Siemens was awarded a contract by LTA to supply

the power system for CCL6

.

The company, which previously worked on the power supply systems for the Downtown Line (DTL), is also rolling out the power supply systems for the Jurong Region Line, the DTL extension comprising Xilin and Sungei Bedok stations, and the North East Line extension connecting Punggol station to the new Punggol Coast stop.

Siemens has also been awarded a contract for the Cross Island Line’s overhead conductor rail system, which supplies electricity to trains, and is part of a consortium that snagged

a $400 million deal to design and install the power supply system

for Singapore’s eighth MRT line.

Correction note: In an earlier version of the story, we attributed a quote about the impact of Circle Line Stage 6 on the MRT line’s reliability to SMRT group chief executive Ngien Hoon Ping. This has been corrected. The quote was said by another member of SMRT’s senior management at the same press conference in July, not Mr Ngien. We are sorry for the error.

See more on