SINGAPORE – Popular eatery Spize’s Bedok outlets have had their food hygiene grades lowered from “A” to “C” after a food poisoning incident in 2022 resulted in 15 people experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.
They had eaten at Spize in Simpang Bedok on July 5 and 6, 2022, the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) said last Saturday.
None of them was hospitalised, it added.
The SFA and Ministry of Health, in a joint operation, identified several hygiene lapses during an inspection at both the food stall, Spize Continental Kitchen, and the food shop, Spize, on July 10, 2022.
SFA will take enforcement action against the licensees for the lapses.
“SFA has adjusted food hygiene grades of the food stall at 338 Bedok Road, Spize Continental Kitchen, and food shop at 284 Bedok Road, Spize, from ‘A’ to ‘C’ with effect from March 10, 2023, to be reviewed in 12 months,” the agency said.
The premises will continue to be kept under surveillance by SFA.
It reminded food operators to adhere to good hygiene and safety practices, such as ensuring staff wash their hands before coming into contact with food. This will help to reduce the incidence of infections such as gastroenteritis.
Spize has another outlet at Temasek Club in Rifle Range Road.
Spize has made headlines before, for an even more serious food poisoning incident.
A man was in critical condition in November 2018 after he consumed food from Spize three hours after its delivery. He was one of 72 people who had gastroenteritis after eating bento meals prepared by Spize’s River Valley outlet. He later died of sepsis and multiple organ failure.
The River Valley outlet was shut down by the National Environment Agency after the incident.
When contacted by The Straits Times, Mr Haresh Sabnani, Spize’s co-owner, declined to comment.