Simpler way to take parent denying child access to task

Planned court measures to make it easier for parties to seek help

Access orders give the parent who does not live with the child time spent together after the divorce or separation. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
New: Gift this subscriber-only story to your friends and family

The Family Justice Courts (FJC) is planning to introduce a simpler way for a person to take a former spouse to court for failing to allow access to the children after the breakdown of the marriage despite being ordered to do so.

Currently, the enforcement of access orders comes in the form of committal proceedings "which can be lengthy and onerous, with strict procedural steps that have to be complied with", an FJC spokesman told The Straits Times.

Already a subscriber? 

Read the full story and more at $9.90/month

Get exclusive reports and insights with more than 500 subscriber-only articles every month

Unlock these benefits

  • All subscriber-only content on ST app and

  • Easy access any time via ST app on 1 mobile device

  • E-paper with 2-week archive so you won't miss out on content that matters to you

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 20, 2020, with the headline Simpler way to take parent denying child access to task. Subscribe