GE2025: People’s Power Party unveils two new faces at Tampines walkabout
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
The People’s Power Party’s (from left) Mr Martinn Ho, Mr Peter Soh, Madam Arbaah Haroun and Mr Derrick Sim after a walkabout at Tampines Round Market and Food Centre on April 12.
ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
Follow topic:
SINGAPORE – A former civil servant and the founder of a green technology firm were unveiled as new faces by the People’s Power Party (PPP) on April 12.
The introduction of Mr Martinn Ho, 64, and Mr Peter Soh, 65, came after a party walkabout at Tampines Round Market and Food Centre.
Mr Ho’s LinkedIn account shows he had worked at the National Environment Agency as a deputy principal engineer.
PPP secretary-general Goh Meng Seng said that the party has “good candidates” despite being small.
Addressing criticisms on social media that its first slate of candidates are blue-collar workers who cannot speak well, he said: “They are normal Singaporeans who are extraordinary. They have the guts to stand up and be counted.”
The Straits Times reported in March that the PPP’s team in Tampines GRC will be led by Mr Goh. Other candidates expected to be fielded there are party chairman Derrick Sim, 44, who is a financial planner; landscaping executive Vere Nathan, 26; and entrepreneur Arbaah Haroun, 50. The party has yet to reveal its final member.
Mr Goh said, however, that the slate may change closer to the general election.
During the walkabout at the market, which is located in the newly carved out Tampines Changkat SMC
The pamphlets contained a summary of the party’s manifesto, which was launched on April 4 on the PPP’s website
Key policy suggestions include a monthly payout of $300 for each child from families that earn a household income at or below the 70th percentile of the population, up until the child completes secondary school.
The PPP also suggested that employees’ contributions to the Central Provident Fund be reduced to 5 per cent from the current 20 per cent to increase workers’ disposable income, and that essential groceries and healthcare services be exempted from the goods and services tax.
Thus far, the PPP looks set to contest Tampines GRC and Ang Mo Kio GRC, despite the prospect of multi-cornered fights in both group representation constituencies.
The other opposition parties likely to contest Tampines GRC are the Workers’ Party and the National Solidarity Party.
(Second from right, standing) People’s Power Party secretary-general Goh Meng Seng and party members Martinn Ho and Peter Soh speaking with residents at Tampines Round Market and Food Centre on April 12.
ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
Ang Mo Kio GRC, which is helmed by Senior Minister Lee Hsien Loong, will see the Singapore United Party (SUP) contesting there as well.
On April 10, SUP secretary-general Andy Zhu said that his party is adamant about contesting the GRC, despite the presence of a “third party”.
Although talks were held between SUP and PPP, both sides were unable to come to an agreement over which party should step aside.
Asked about the discussions, Mr Goh said he proposed fielding a combined team in the constituency under the PPP banner, but the proposal was refused.
While it has not revealed its complete slate there yet, party treasurer William Lim, 47, will lead the team in the GRC.
The PPP had earlier said that apart from the three constituencies, it will also contest Jalan Kayu SMC and Nee Soon G RC,
The party later backed out of running in Nee Soon GRC, jointly declaring with Red Dot United (RDU) that it will give way to it in the constituency.
Jalan Kayu SMC, meanwhile, “used to” factor into the PPP’s plans, but Mr Goh did not elaborate further beyond saying that the PPP is in talks with RDU.
“Never say never in politics. We might contest in new areas that we have not indicated,” he added.
Aqil Hamzah is a journalist covering breaking news at The Straits Times, with interests in crime and technology.

