Police arrest Maserati driver who injured officer in hit-and-run incident in Bedok

Police have arrested Lee Cheng Yan after he was involved in a hit-and-run incident which injured a traffic police officer.
Police have arrested Lee Cheng Yan after he was involved in a hit-and-run incident which injured a traffic police officer. PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO

SINGAPORE - The driver of a white Maserati who injured an on-duty traffic police officer in a hit-and-run accident on Friday night (Nov 17) has been arrested.

Police, in an update at 4.21am on Saturday, said officers tracked down Lee Cheng Yan, 33, at an Housing Board unit in Geylang Bahru Road.

He was charged on Saturday morning with the offence of rash act causing grievous hurt. If convicted, he could be jailed for up to four years and/or fined up to $10,000.

Police had issued a statement earlier at about 1am asking for information on Lee. "The police are looking for him to aid in our investigations," the earlier statement said. 

Lee's car had been stopped by a 26-year-old traffic police officer - who was conducting enforcement checks - in Bedok Reservoir Road at around 9.20pm on Friday. 

But when the officer approached his car, Lee suddenly accelerated towards him, causing him to suffer multiple injuries. He was taken to Changi General Hospital for treatment. 

Lee's car was later found abandoned in Cedar Avenue. 

In a Facebook video posted by motorcycle workshop owner Yan Junfeng, Lee's Maserati was seen being driven away from the scene after the incident. It was also spotted speeding, driving in the wrong lane and beating a red light. 

Mr Yan, 26, was a pillion rider on his friend's motorcycle, who initially gave chase but could not keep up with the Maserati. 

Speaking to The Straits Times on Saturday morning, Mr Yan said: "I saw that the driver was refusing to cooperate with the traffic police, and driving recklessly between lanes. As an ex-Singapore Civil Defence Force officer, my natural reaction was to provide assistance.

"I contacted the police immediately and told them I was following the car - they told me to be safe and stay on the phone to update them on the driver's current location."

Mr Yan added that he lost sight of the Maserati at Wan Tho Avenue, but a traffic police motorcycle had caught up by then and continued the chase. 


In their statement on the incident, police thanked members of the public who provided assistance. 

This is not Lee's first brush with the law. 

In July this year, he was fined a total of $13,500 for installing an altered exhaust system on his Maserati car, and for causing an accident in Orchard Road last year which resulted in a motorcyclist suffering fractures.

He had been caught eight times between May 2013 and November 2015 for using the car when it was altered.