Customers, tenants return to Parkway Parade after 4-day closure following fire

The escalators on the first floor are stopped for maintenance on Friday as they were affected by the water used to put out fire on the second floor. ST PHOTO: JOYCE FANG
Shoppers at Parkway Parade on Friday (May 20) morning, after a four-day closure following a fire at the shopping mall late on Sunday night. ST PHOTO: JOYCE FANG
More than 50 people were seen outside an entrance of Parkway Parade on May 16, 2016 after it was closed following a fire at the shopping mall late on Sunday night. ST PHOTO: ONG WEE JIN

SINGAPORE - Parkway Parade reopened on Friday (May 20) morning, after a four-day closure following a fire at the shopping mall late on Sunday night.

"We are pleased to announce that Parkway Parade mall is now open, following the rigorous testing, clean up and rectification works due to a fire incident that recently closed the mall," it said in a press release.

No one was injured in the fire that broke out at a shop on level two of the seven-storey mall in Marine Parade around midnight on Sunday (May 15).

The building and its carpark remained closed from Monday to Thursday for repairs to its fire protection system. Only the adjoining office tower and banks on level one were opened during this period. The mall had said that the cause of the fire was under investigation.

When The Straits Times visited the mall on Friday morning, several stores, including Mothercare and Winter Time on the second floor and Uniqlo at Basement 1, remained closed

A mall employee also said that some lifts and escalators were shut down for maintenance as they had been affected by the fire.

An escalator closed for repair works. ST PHOTO: SUN XUERUI
Lifts at the mall unavailable due to maintenance works. ST PHOTO: SUN XUERUI

Many of the shoppers spotted at the mall after its reopening were Marine Parade residents and regular visitors who expressed relief that they could return to their usual routines.

Mrs Chin Teo, housewife and Marine Parade resident, 60, said: "I come here every day after going to the wet market with my friends. The past few days we couldn't enter the mall, we didn't know what happened."

"I bought some cosmetics from a shop here and wanted to exchange it, so I actually came here early to do that. We're all glad that the mall is open now."

Housewife Namita, 36, said the mall's closure had been very inconvenient for her as she lived nearby and visited the shops regularly.

"I didn't go out at all the past couple of days - was just waiting for the mall to reopen," she said.

Department store Isetan, meanwhile, has only opened its first floor to customers. Its second level will remain closed for the next two or three days for staff to clean up the store further.

Housewife and Marine Parade resident Stacia Tan, 47, said she and her husband waited outside Isetan for 10 minutes until mall staff told her it would not be open.

"They didn't put any signage to say it's not open. The mall should have put a sign to say which shops are open and which shops are not," she added.

Ms Pren Kumar, a legal executive who lives in Telok Kurau, spent an hour shopping for groceries in the mall on Friday morning.

"The mall was normal, although I smelled a bit of cleaning solution as I walked around. Otherwise, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary," said the 36-year-old.

Remote video URL

Ms Jenny Khoo, General Manager of Parkway Parade, said: "The Management team at Parkway Parade is very thankful and appreciative of the support, understanding and patience of our retailers, shoppers and occupants... I would like to apologise for all the inconveniences caused during this period."

A team of experts has been formed to facilitate the cleaning, testing and rectification works, which include recovery works to the fire protection and electrical systems, Ms Khoo said, adding that some rectification works are still ongoing in parts of the mall.

"Today, we are pleased to welcome shoppers back to Parkway Parade. The mall will have a marketing campaign, with details in its Facebook page and website over the next few weeks," she added.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.