SINGAPORE - There have been no reports of Singaporean casualties as of 7pm on Thursday (Sept 24) after a stampede during the annual haj in Saudi Arabia that has claimed at least 717 lives.
The Consulate-General in Jeddah has confirmed that all Singaporean pilgrims are safe and accounted for, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs Yaacob Ibrahim, in a Facebook post on Thursday evening, sent his condolences to the families of pilgrims who were killed in the stampede.
"I am saddened by the news of the stampede in Mina, where more than 300 deaths have been reported so far.
"I understand from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS) that all our Singaporean pilgrims are accounted for and are safe, Alhamdulillah," he said.
The incident, which took place in the camp city of Mina, a few kilometres east of Mecca, has also wounded at least 805 people. It is one of the worst incidents to hit the haj in nearly a decade.
Singaporeans who require consular assistance can contact the Singapore Embassy in Riyadh or the Singapore Consulate-General in Jeddah or the MFA Duty Officer (24-hours) at:
Embassy of the Republic of Singapore - Saudi Arabia (Riyadh)
Address: Diplomatic Quarter Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Telephone: +966-(11) 480-3855 or +966-500-191220
Fax: +966-(11) 483-0632
Consulate-General of the Republic of Singapore - Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)
Address: Villa No. 5, Mohammed Tawfiq Al Abbasi Street Off Hera'a Street, (Behind Danube Madinah Road) Opposite Al-Ghais Mosque
Telephone: +966-(12) 6073980, +966-(12) 6073981 6073981 or +966-505596481
Telefax: +966-(12) 6074280
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Duty Office (24-Hours)
Address: Tanglin, Singapore 248163
Tel: 6379 8800 / 8855
Fax: 6476 7302