Lit candle causes fire at Jurong East condominium; 40 residents evacuated

The aftermath of the blaze, which was caused by a lit candle.
The aftermath of the blaze, which was caused by a lit candle.PHOTO: ST READER

SINGAPORE - A lit candle caused a blaze to break out in a condominium unit in Jurong East on Thursday (June 16) night, forcing residents to evacuate from the building.

A woman in her 30s also sustained superficial burns on a small part of her face and was taken to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the fire in a 12th-storey unit at Parc Oasis (37, Jurong East Avenue 1) and dispatched two fire engines, a red rhino, two fire bikes, an ambulance and a support vehicle to the scene.

SCDF officers used a water jet and two compressed air foam backpacks to put out the fire within 10 minutes, a spokesman said.

An estimated 40 residents were understood to have evacuated from the building's upper floors before SCDF's arrival.

Preliminary investigations suggested that the fire, caused by a lit candle, was accidental.

The SCDF has the following safety tips for the public:

- Do not leave naked flames such as lit scented candles and tea lights unattended;

- Lit candles should also be kept away from paper, curtains and furnishings. They should be placed in stable holders on a heat-resistant surface.