SINGAPORE - There have been fewer unsuccessful applicants under the Married Child Priority Scheme (MCPS) over the last few years, National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said in Parliament on Monday.
Responding to Ms Tin Pei Ling (Marine Parade GRC), he said the average number of unsuccessful applicants under this scheme for Build to Order (BTO) and Sale of Balance Flats (SBF) was 578 in 2014, down from 724 in 2011.
The average number of unsuccessful MCPS applications under the BTO exercises has been halved from 511 applications in 2011 to 241 last year.
The success rates have averaged 59 per cent, said Mr Khaw. The number of successful applications was 7,500 in 2011, 11,000 in 2012 and 9,600 in 2013
The number of BTO and SBF applications under this scheme was 15,700 in 2013, down from 18,100 in 2012.
There were 8,400 such applications between January and September last year, and selection exercises after September are still in progress.
More than 100,000 new BTO flats have been offered between 2011 and 2014, clearing the backlog of demand from first-timers.
"Today, almost all young couples, including those who apply under the MCPS, are successful in their first application for a BTO flat in the non-mature estates," he said.
Last November, the MCPS was also converted to a quota-based priority scheme, to give greater assurance to families who wish to stay near or together. Besides this scheme, the higher-tier CPF housing grant for resale flats will help couples who wish to stay near or with their parents.