• 2 bananas, unpeeled, sliced into half lengthwise
• 2 slices of pineapple, peeled and cored
• 2 mangoes, unpeeled, sliced to obtain 4 cheeks
• ½ cup gula melaka (palm sugar), chopped into small pieces
• ½ cup water
• 1 tbs dark rum
• Roasted peanuts and mint leaves
Heat up a ridged grill pan, sprayed lightly with canola oil, until smoking hot on the stove.
Place one fruit after the other on the pan: First, the banana halves, cut side down. Leave them undisturbed for a few minutes until sear marks form. Remove. Repeat with the mango cheeks, cut side down, undisturbed for a few minutes, followed by the pineapple slices.
Carefully remove the skin from the bananas and mangoes and leave the fruit aside.
Make the gula melaka syrup by placing the chopped sugar and water in a small pot. Bring to the boil, stir to dissolve all the lumps and add the rum. Leave aside.
To serve, place one of each fruit in a cup, drizzle with syrup and garnish with chopped nuts and a mint leaf.