Remembering Lee Kuan Yew

Grandson Li Hongyi chose big portrait of the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew in Parliament House

SINGAPORE - Ms Ho Ching, the wife of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, has recounted how her son Hongyi set up a portrait of his late grandfather Mr Lee Kuan Yew at his lying-in-state at Parliament House last week.

In a Facebook post on Monday, she also thanked the funeral organising team and all citizens and residents who came to Parliament House to pay their respects to the late Mr Lee.

Ms Ho wrote: "Hongyi wanted to make sure that those who came to pay their respects to his yeye (Mandarin for grandfather) have the best experience possible. He thought it was the least he could do after so many had queued for hours, in the sun and through the night."

He had chosen and edited a photo for a big portrait on Friday night, while the organising team produced the portrait and set it up by Saturday afternoon, she said.

Those who paid their last respects to Mr Lee on Saturday could see the portrait of Mr Lee and Singapore's Proclamation of Independence arranged under the crest of the Singapore Parliament.

Ms Ho added that Hongyi is also grateful to a Singapore Armed Forces officer who alerted him that an important display was set aside when the portrait was set up.

"Hong went to take a look, and discovered it was the Proclamation of Independence signed by his yeye, no less. He quickly rustled up some support staff to put the Proclamation beneath the portrait, to complete the presentation for visitors," she wrote.

She ended her post with thanks for everyone who helped in the funeral arrangements, and who came to pay their respects to Mr Lee.

"We are deeply touched and honoured as a family by your love and respect for the man we call papa and yeye," she wrote.

The Proclamation of Singapore was signed by Mr Lee on August 9, 1965 when Singapore separated from Malaysia. A monument bearing the text of the Proclamation stands in Parliament House.

Mr Lee died on March 23 at the age of 91, and his state funeral was held on Sunday after a seven-day mourning period.


Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.