AskSandra: Your burning Primary 1 registration questions answered

ST's Senior Education Correspondent Sandra Davie answers your queries on Primary 1 registration.

Q My child was born on Jan 2, 2011. Can I register her for Primary 1 this year?

A No. The Ministry of Education's (MOE) policy is that children entering Primary 1 next year must be at least six years old on Jan 1 in the year of admission to Primary 1.

Q Can I register my child in more than one school?

A No. You can register your child in only one school in any particular phase. MOE's computer system will be able to detect duplicate registrations. You must withdraw your application in order to register at another school.


Q I have two homes. Which address should I use for registering my child for Primary 1?

A The address should be the official residential address on the


parents' NRIC. This address will be used to determine the home-school distance category.

Q How long do we need to live at the address used to register our child for Primary 1?

A According to MOE, priority for those living nearby is given, with the expectation that the family will remain at the address for the duration of the child's primary school studies, as it is for the convenience and interest of the child.

If a child gains priority admission into a school because of distance, he is then required to reside at the address used for registration for at least 30 months from the commencement of the Primary 1 Registration Exercise on June 30, 2016.

If this condition is not met, MOE reserves the right to transfer the child to another school.

Q I recently moved to a new flat in Punggol. How do I find out which schools are within 1 km and 2km of my home?

A You can view the list of primary schools in Punggol on the Ministry of Education's Primary 1 registration website.

Parents can also check the home-school distance category from the OneMap SchoolQuery Service managed by the Singapore Land Authority, or check with the schools directly.

Q Is it true that all schools, including popular ones, will have to reserve places for Phase 2C for those without any connections?

A MOE will reserve 40 places in every primary school for Phase 2B and 2C to ensure continued open access to all primary schools.

The 40 reserved places will be split equally between Phase 2B, which involves, among others, children of parents who volunteer at the school, and Phase 2C, which is for those with no links to schools.

At the end of Phase 2A(2) - for children whose parent or sibling has studied at the school - 50 per cent of the remaining places, including the 40 reserved places, will be allocated for Phase 2B and the other 50 per cent for Phase 2C.

If there are vacancies left at the end of Phase 2B, the remaining vacancies will be carried forward to Phase 2C.

Q I am not sure if my son is ready for Primary 1. If I register him but find out later that he may have difficulty coping, will MOE hold the school place for him and let him start a year later?

A Holding of Primary 1 places is not allowed. If you wish to defer your child's entry into Primary 1, you would have to write in to the Compulsory Education Unit for approval. Once you have gained approval, you have to withdraw the child's registration from the school.

Q I am divorced. Do I need to produce my divorce certificate and child custody order when I register my child for Primary 1?

A Yes. You will need to produce the relevant child custody and divorce papers. You should approach the primary school that you are registering your child in for advice on any additional documents required.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 04, 2016, with the headline 'Your burning Primary 1 registration questions answered'. Print Edition | Subscribe