Tampines double deaths: Married man killed former lover before committing suicide

Police officers preparing to enter the 10th-floor unit in Block 520A, Tampines Central 8, where telemarketer Serinn Tan Bee Leng was found dead.
Police officers preparing to enter the 10th-floor unit in Block 520A, Tampines Central 8, where telemarketer Serinn Tan Bee Leng was found dead.PHOTO: ST FILE

SINGAPORE - A married father-of-three killed his former girlfriend in her Tampines home before jumping to his death from the 10th-floor flat on May 29, 2017, said the State Coroner on Monday (Feb 26).

Safety supervisor Chng Hong Nam stabbed sales telemarketer Serinn Tan Bee Leng in her chest and abdomen on the fateful night they met at her home after he called her persistently to meet her although their affair had ended in early 2017.

Mr Chng, 49, started his affair with Ms Tan, 46, a divorcee, in 2013 when he was a real estate agent.

His wife found out, told him to end it and went to Ms Tan's home to confront her.

Ms Tan, who has a son now aged 16, denied she was in a relationship with him.

When she ended the affair, she moved on to another married man, her supervisor at work.

Mr Chng, however, persisted in calling and asking to meet her, but she would make excuses to avoid him.

She finally gave in and they met at her home at Block 520A, Tampines Central 8.

At a court hearing on Dec 19, 2017, Senior Investigation Officer Vicneswaran Ramakrishnan said Mr Chng was found dead at the foot of the block at around 11pm.

He had jumped after stabbing his former lover, whose NRIC was found on him.

  • Helplines

  • SOS 24-hour Hotline: 1800-221-4444

    Singapore Association of Mental Health: 1800-283-7019

    Institute of Mental Health: 6389-2222 (24 hours)

    Tinkle Friend: 1800-274-4788 (for primary school-aged children)

    Care Corner Counselling Centre (Mandarin): 1800-353-5800

Police officers found Ms Tan lying face up on a blood-soaked bed with injuries, including a stab wound in her chest and two in her abdomen as well as bruises around her wrists and ankles.

She also had cuts on her forearms, believed to be defensive wounds when Mr Chng attacked her with a "knife-like weapon", which had yet to be found.

Senior Investigation Officer Vicneswaran said Mr Chng could have restrained her with cable ties, which were found at the foot of the block.

Before he plunged to his death, he sent a text message to his wife, in which he apologised to his family and said he was "not a good father".

State Coroner Kamala Ponnampalam said that Ms Tan was pronounced dead around 12.30am on May 30, 2017.

She also said Mr Chng had committed suicide after carrying out the "unlawful killing" of Ms Tan.

Her 72-year-old father, who had attended the coroner's hearing with his wife, told reporters his daughter was living with them before she moved into the Tampines flat with her son.

He added: "She was the sole breadwinner for our household and was a very filial daughter. She had just moved into her new home when the tragedy happened."

He said his grandson, who is now staying them, still cries when he thinks of his mother.

Said the elderly Mrs Tan: "I have to stay strong for my grandson."