Second man in Shangri-La shooting gets 7 years' jail and caning for drug offences

A bullet hole is seen on the front windscreen of a red sedan car which was involved in an early morning shooting incident where a man was shot dead and two others were arrested on May 31, 2015. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
Muhammad Syahid Mohamed Yasin admitted to abetment to commit a rash act, two counts of enhanced possession of drugs and taking Ice on May 31, 2015.


SINGAPORE - The second passenger in a car that was shot at after it crashed through security barriers near Shangri-La Hotel in May this year was given seven years' jail and three strokes of the cane for drug offences on Monday (Dec 21).

Muhammad Syahid Mohamed Yasin admitted to abetment to commit a rash act, two counts of enhanced possession of drugs and taking Ice on May 31 this year.

The 27-year-old kitchen helper was sitting behind a red Subaru Impreza when he instigated the driver, Mohammad Taufik Zahar, to do a rash act to endanger the personal safety of two police officers by shouting "Jalan! Jalan!" (Go! Go!) in Malay to him along Ardmore Park at about 4.15am that day.

Taufik then suddenly accelerated towards Sergeant Mohamad Zahid Suhami, 29, and Senior Staff Sergeant See Toa Chew Yin, 30. He crashed the car into a concrete barrier, endangering their personal safety.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Yang Ziliang said the car, driven by Taufik, was stopped at a road block on Ardmore Park at about 4.15am that day. Syahid was sitting at the rear left passenger seat while Mohamed Ismail, 32, was seated infront.

Syahid was observed to be nervous and defensive and asked two policemen why they wanted to check him.

He was worried as he had methamphetamine, or Ice, and nimetrazepam in a pouch beside him. He had also taken Ice the night before at his home.

He suddenly shouted in Malay to the driver to "Jalan! Jalan!'' which means "Go! Go!".

The driver revved the engine and suddenly accelerated towards Sgt Zahid and Senior Staff Sgt See Toa, who were near the concrete barrier.

Senior Staff Sgt See Toa backed away from the concrete barrier while Sgt Zahid, who was seated in a police vehicle, braced himself for impact when they heard the engine rev.

The car then crashed into the concrete barrier beside the police car, pushed the barrier aside and drove through.

Police opened fire at the vehicle, and the car later came to a stop.

Taufik, 34, died on the spot. The car had a single bullet hole in the front windscreen.

Mohamed is serving a sentence of eight years and three strokes for drug offences.

The area around the hotel had been placed under a tight security net as it was hosting the Shangri- La Dialogue, a major security summit attended by defence ministers and security chiefs.

Syahid committed the present offences about a year after his release from drug supervision. He had previous convictions for drug-related offences.

His lawyer Nadia Moynihan said his client's infant daughter died in July this year. He had reported flashbacks of his incident and hearing gunshots.

Four other drug-related charges were taken into consideration.

Join ST's Telegram channel here and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.