Police officer slashed in the arm during probe

Knife attack occurred in Geylang condo while CID was investigating complaint; suspect held

A police officer is recovering in hospital after his right arm was slashed during an investigation.

The 43-year-old plain-clothes officer and two others from the Criminal Investigation Department's technology crime investigation branch were investigating a complaint under the Computer Misuse and Cybersecurity Act when they were attacked in a unit at the Central Grove condominium in Geylang East Avenue 1.

They spotted the suspect at about 9.45pm on Thursday and identified themselves but he attacked them with a knife.

The 23-year-old suspect was arrested and will be charged in court today with voluntarily causing hurt using a dangerous weapon.

If convicted, he could be jailed for up to seven years, fined, caned or any combination of these punishments.

The knife has been recovered and seized by the police.

The injured officer was last night said to be in a stable condition at Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

A search of the man's apartment also uncovered items that are suspected to be controlled drugs and drug paraphernalia.

These have been handed over to the Central Narcotics Bureau for follow-up investigations.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (Investigations and Intelligence) Tan Chye Hee, who is also director of the Criminal Investigation Department, said the police force has zero tolerance towards acts of violence towards its officers or public servants carrying out their duties.

"The police will not hesitate to take stern action against those who blatantly disregard the law and harm police officers," he said. "We will see to it that they are dealt with to the fullest extent of our laws."

The last reported case of a police officer being attacked was in June last year.

Muhammad Iskandar Sa'at, 23, allegedly snatched an officer's revolver in Khoo Teck Puat Hospital in Yishun, while in custody for a charge of motor vehicle theft.

He allegedly tried to escape while in an examination room and in the struggle that ensued, three rounds were fired from a .38-calibre Taurus revolver belonging to policeman Mohammad Sadli Razali.

The officer was wounded in his thumb and foot. The suspect has been charged with a capital offence under the Arms Offences Act.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 12, 2016, with the headline 'Police officer slashed in the arm during probe'. Print Edition | Subscribe