Police arrest four men in connection with St James Power Station murder

The exterior of St James Power Station.
The exterior of St James Power Station.PHOTO: ST FILE

SINGAPORE - Four men have been arrested in connection with the murder of a 34-year-old man at St James Power Station on Sunday (March 12), the police said in a statement on Tuesday (March 14) morning.

The alleged assailants are between 20 and 28 and were apprehended following investigative probes and ground enquiries from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and Police Intelligence Department (PID).

The first suspect was arrested on March 12 and officers subsequently established the identities of the three other suspects and arrested them in an operation a day later. Preliminary investigations revealed that the incident is believed to have arisen from a dispute between the deceased and a staff of Postbar, a nightspot at St James.

One of the suspects will be charged in court on March 14 for murder. Investigations against the other three suspects are still ongoing.


The deceased, Mr Sateesh Kumar, sustained stab wounds to his head and back. Another man, 28, was injured in the attack and suffered injuries to his head.

Both were found at around 6am on Sunday by police officers on patrol. Mr Sateesh was pronounced dead at around 6.45am, while the other man was warded for treatment.

Director CID (Covering), Senior Assistant Commissioner of Police Sekher Warrier, said: "I would like to commend all the officers who had worked tirelessly and selflessly round the clock to solve this case within 48 hours.


Despite the challenges, our officers displayed perseverance and tenacity in their investigation and intelligence probes, which coupled with the extensive ground work, have resulted in the swift and successful arrest of all the suspects. The police are committed to keep Singapore safe and we will spare no effort to track down offenders to ensure that they are brought swiftly to justice and face the full brunt of the law."

On Monday morning, the father, sister and brother of Mr Sateesh came forward to claim his body at the Health Sciences Authority mortuary.

They declined comment when approached by reporters. It is understood that the family rushed back from a trip to Malaysia to claim his body.