Man, 23, gets jail for beating up girlfriend, leaving her with broken nose and swollen face

SINGAPORE - A 23-year-old man has been sentenced to jail for beating up his girlfriend, and for throwing her guitar from a height.

Foo Kiat Geng's assault left the victim, 17, with a broken nose and facial swelling and bruising so bad that she could not open her left eye.

The couple were about to have dinner in his Tampines flat on Dec 29, 2013, when they got into an argument because she had a headache and did not appear cheerful.

Foo started shouting vulgarities at her and told her to leave. As she was packing her things, she tore up a photo of the two of them, which so enraged him that he punched her in the face.

Foo continued to punch the victim in the head and kick her in the stomach as she fell onto the floor. She tried to stand by leaning against a cupboard, but he continued the assault.

Eventually Foo stopped and asked the victim to leave. She was at first unwilling to go as she still harboured feelings for him, but after some time her pain intensified and she called her mother to come pick her up.

As the victim was leaving, Foo asked her to return and said he still loved her. When she refused, he ran out into the corridor and kicked her again in the stomach. He also threw her belongings, including her wooden guitar and some cosmetics, from the seventh floor onto the ground.

The police were called close to 9pm, and the victim was subsequently sent to Changi General Hospital.

Foo has been sentenced to six months and six weeks in jail for beating up his girlfriend, and for throwing her guitar from a height. The sentences are to run consecutively.

For voluntarily causing grievous hurt, Foo could have been jailed up to 10 years and also caned or fined.

For endangering human life through the rash act of throwing the guitar, he could have been jailed for up to six months or fined up to $2,500, or both.

Join ST's WhatsApp Channel and get the latest news and must-reads.