Investigators take Teck Whye Lane murder suspect to 'crime scenes'

SINGAPORE - The suspect in the Teck Whye Lane temple murder case was taken by police investigators to three locations in Marsiling and Choa Chu Kang on Wednesday morning (March 2).

Loh Suan Lit, 47, is accused of killing Mr Tan Poh Huat, 53, at Chin Long Kong Chinese Temple in the early hours of Feb 14.

A 2m trail of blood was seen outside the prayer hall, while Mr Tan's body lay motionless on the ground.

Loh arrived in a grey unmarked van just after 10am at Block 15 Marsiling Lane, where he lives in a rented flat on the 12th storey.

He stepped out of the van cuffed on his wrists and ankles, flanked by two police officers.


Dressed in a red polo shirt and navy shorts, he first led police investigators to an area at the void deck, where he is believed to have disposed of the tools used to commit the murder.

Loh wore a grim expression as he tried to recall the sequence of events. At times, he spoke quietly to a police investigator through a Hokkien translator.

He was also seen gesturing towards the ground next to a kindergarten.

Later, Loh was taken inside a three-room HDB flat on the 12th storey. Police officers spent more than 20 minutes searching the unit.

At 11am, Loh was taken to Yong Heng Hardware Engineering at Block 18, where he combed through several aisles, before a hammer and a saw were identified by police.

Mr Tan, who was jobless and had been living in the temple for the past two years, was reported to have been struck on the back of his head with a hammer.

Finally, at around noon, Loh arrived at the Chinese temple along Teck Whye Lane.

He was taken to each prayer hall and finally to the back of the temple. He was seen pointing at an area next to a short metal gate, where he is believed to have climbed into the compound.

Loh, who was arrested on Feb 24, was remanded for a week for further investigation. His case will be mentioned on March 4.

He faces the death penalty if convicted of murder.