Myanmar maid charged with murder of 70-year-old woman in HDB flat

The victim, 70, was found lying motionless in her 12th-storey unit at Block 791, Choa Chu Kang North 6, on June 25, 2018. ST PHOTO: BENJAMIN SEETOR

SINGAPORE - A maid from Myanmar was charged with murder on Wednesday (June 27), two days after a 70-year-old woman was found dead in her home.

Zin Mar Nwe, 23, is accused of killing the victim between 11.27am and 12.17pm on June 25.

The senior citizen was found lying motionless in her flat.

Zin Mar Nwe appeared via video-link from Central Police Division, where she is being held in remand.

The Straits Times understands that Zin Mar Nwe, who had been working for the deceased's household, was not arrested in the flat.

The alleged murder was discovered after police received a call at around 3pm, requesting for assistance at the flat.

When officers arrived at the unit, they found the victim lying motionless. Paramedics pronounced her dead about 30 minutes later.

Later that evening, police cordons were set up at a lift lobby at the block. Officers were also observed conducting their investigation inside the flat.

Neighbours were shocked to hear about the incident.

Mr Ricky Lau, 54, who lives in the same block, said residents were surprised to see many police officers there on Monday as the neighbourhood is usually peaceful.

He said: "I asked around and was told that a maid allegedly killed her employer."

Ms Kink San Nwe, 28, a sales agent who lives in a nearby block, said: "Things don't usually happen in this neighbourhood, so I was surprised. I didn't believe there was a murder at first."

On Wednesday, the victim's body was claimed by her son-in-law from the Mortuary@HSA (Health Sciences Authority) in Outram Road at 2.35pm. He was accompanied by two unidentified men. They declined to speak to the media.

Zin Mar Nwe will be back in court on July 4.

Offenders convicted of murder will face the death penalty.

Additional reporting by Fabian Koh

Clarification note: This story has been updated to remove the name of the deceased and all references to her address due to a gag order subsequently imposed by the court. This is to protect the identity of one of the trial witnesses who is below 18 years of age.

Join ST's Telegram channel here and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.