Contractor held liable for temple volunteer's fatal electrocution

He has to pay damages in civil suit by victim's parents, and legal costs of event organiser, who is found not liable

A contractor in charge of tentage and electrical installations at an open-air religious event has been held wholly liable for damages following the death of a volunteer electrocuted by exposed wires at the site.

District Judge Tan May Tee said Mr Tay Liang Chuan should have tested the electrical installation after it was connected to an HDB source to ensure it was safe for use.

Please or to continue reading the full article. Learn more about ST PREMIUM.

Enjoy unlimited access to ST's best work

  • Exclusive stories and features on multiple devices
  • In-depth analyses and opinion pieces
  • ePaper and award-winning multimedia content
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on September 19, 2018, with the headline 'Contractor held liable for temple volunteer's fatal electrocution'. Print Edition | Subscribe