Contaminated fried rice led to students falling ill

File photo showing a plate of fried rice and vegetables.
File photo showing a plate of fried rice and vegetables.PHOTO: ST FILE

Food's storage conditions were conducive for bacteria: Report

Cooked rice left at room temperature for a couple of hours became contaminated with bacteria, which left 14 students with food poisoning when they ate it last September.

An investigation found that the rice contained the Bacillus cereus bacteria, which cannot be destroyed by subsequent cooking.

Please or to continue reading the full article. Learn more about ST PREMIUM.

Enjoy unlimited access to ST's best work

  • Exclusive stories and features on multiple devices
  • In-depth analyses and opinion pieces
  • ePaper and award-winning multimedia content
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 08, 2018, with the headline 'Contaminated fried rice led to students falling ill'. Print Edition | Subscribe