9-year-old's intestine punctured after she swallowed magnetic balls; doctor calls for ban on toy

Two stretches of the girl's small intestine had to be cut out as they were irreversibly damaged by the balls pulling and pushing against one another. PHOTOS: THOMSON MEDICAL CENTRE, MRS PREMCHAND
New: Gift this subscriber-only story to your friends and family

SINGAPORE - Innocuous-looking tiny magnetic balls, a toy that is increasingly popular among children in Singapore, constricted and punctured the intestine of a nine-year-old girl after she swallowed them.

The damage caused her to repeatedly throw up green vomit over the course of two weeks, perplexing doctors, as no one knew she had swallowed the balls.

Already a subscriber? 

Read the full story and more at $9.90/month

Get exclusive reports and insights with more than 500 subscriber-only articles every month

Unlock these benefits

  • All subscriber-only content on ST app and straitstimes.com

  • Easy access any time via ST app on 1 mobile device

  • E-paper with 2-week archive so you won't miss out on content that matters to you

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.