60-year-old woman on life support after accident with cyclist in Tampines

Madam Violet Poh, 60, is currently on life support at Changi General Hospital after an accident with a cyclist in Tampines on June 3, 2018. PHOTO: COURTESY OF SHAWN TOH

SINGAPORE - A 17-year-old cyclist is assisting police with investigations, after a pedestrian suffered severe trauma to her head during an accident in Tampines on Sunday night (June 3).

The 60-year-old woman, Madam Violet Poh, is currently on life support at Changi General Hospital, her son Shawn Toh told The Straits Times on Monday.

In response to queries, police said they were alerted to the accident at around 8pm at a park connector along Block 495E Tampines Street 43.

The spokesman confirmed that a 60-year-old woman was taken to Changi General Hospital.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force also said that she was unconscious when taken to the hospital, which was alerted to be on standby to receive her.

On Monday, Mr Toh contacted ST to appeal for eyewitnesses.

The 30-year-old said his mother was alone at the time of the accident, while brisk walking along a shared path for joggers and cyclists on the Tampines Park Connector.

He added that Madam Poh did not take anything along with her for her weekly evening walk.

When the housewife did not return home after a few hours, the family decided to contact the police.

The family were then directed to Changi General Hospital, where they arrived at around 1am.

"When we got to her, she was already unconscious," said Mr Toh, who added that he understands a passer-by had called an ambulance for his mother.

Madam Poh suffered trauma to the back of her head and is believed to have been hit by the bicycle from the back.

He added that doctors told the family, including his father, 32-year-old sister and 24-year-old brother, that his mother has "zero per cent chance" of surviving.

"She's currently on life support but her condition is deteriorating," said Mr Toh, who works in sales. "The doctor said she is likely to last only a few more days."

Mr Toh hopes that those who witnessed the incident will be able to share more information with the police.

"There is usually a big crowd especially during evening time. I hope there will be witnesses who will come forward," he said.

"It's not easy for us," added Mr Toh. "All this happened too quickly."

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.