4-year-old girl dies after being hit by car in Bukit Batok Central; driver arrested

Ms Jacelyn Wong, 24, with her daughter Eleanor Tan, four, who died in an accident in Bukit Batok on Monday (Oct 9). PHOTO: FACEBOOK/JACELYN WONG

SINGAPORE - A four-year-old girl died in an accident involving a car in Bukit Batok Central on Monday (Oct 9), leaving her parents distraught.

According to Shin Min Daily News, her mother, Ms Jacelyn Wong, 24, had been at home preparing her daughter Eleanor Tan's favourite meal of steamed eggs when the child and a woman were hit by a car.

Eleanor was taken unconscious to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, where she later died. The 37-year-old woman - who The Straits Times understands to be a domestic helper - was taken conscious to the same hospital.

"All mothers have a sixth sense; I felt disturbed when I was cooking," Ms Wong told Shin Min Daily News.

She had been waiting at home until 8pm, thinking that Eleanor was late returning home because of a train disruption.

"When I received the call from the hospital, I thought that my daughter had only been injured. But when I got to the hospital with my husband, we found out that she had died. I thought, 'This can't be real; I must be dreaming.'"

Attempts by The Straits Times to contact Ms Wong were unsuccessful.

The 53-year-old male driver of the car was arrested for causing death by a rash act.

The police were alerted at 6.41pm to the accident, which happened in the direction of Bukit Batok West Avenue 2.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) sent two ambulances to the scene.

Paramedics attending to the four-year-old girl after she was hit by a car. PHOTO: FACEBOOK

Barber Low Ko Chim was sitting outside his shop at Block 644 Bukit Batok Central on Monday evening when he heard a crash.

"When I looked to the road, I saw the woman and the girl lying on the road a few metres apart," the 63-year-old told The Straits Times.

"I went down to see if I could help because I know some first aid from when I was in the St John's Ambulance Brigade."

He kept the woman conscious by talking to her, while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

Mr Low added that people often jaywalk along the stretch of road.

Several people were seen jaywalking when The Straits Times visited the area, even though there was an overhead pedestrian bridge nearby.

The road where the four-year-old girl died after being hit by a car in the direction towards Bukit Batok West Ave 2 on the evening of Oct 9, 2017. ST PHOTO: ONG WEE JIN
Despite the presence of an overhead bridge less than 100m away, many pedestrians still jaywalk across the road. ST PHOTO: ONG WEE JIN

Dr Stanley Peck, 48, was attending to a patient at his clinic nearby, when bystanders alerted him to the accident.

He rushed down to the scene with an emergency kit, and performed chest compressions for the girl, who was unconscious, while nurses from another clinic attended to her with an oxygen mask and an intravenous drip.

"She didn't have a pulse," Dr Peck said, adding that her head was bleeding and there were bruises on her legs.

They attended to the girl for about 10 minutes before the ambulance arrived.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.