1972 Robinsons fire: 8 victims died after being trapped in lifts that did not have backup power

Fire spewing fiercely from the upper windows of Robinson's department store at the height of the blaze at Raffles Place, on November 21, 1972. PHOTO: ST FILE
New: Gift this subscriber-only story to your friends and family

SINGAPORE – Fireman Tan Jin Thong, then 33, was in the heavily smoke-logged basement of the Robinsons department store late in the morning when he heard cries for help coming from two lift shafts.

He and several firefighters entered the building’s basement to mount a rescue bid.

Already a subscriber? 

Read the full story and more at $9.90/month

Get exclusive reports and insights with more than 500 subscriber-only articles every month

Unlock these benefits

  • All subscriber-only content on ST app and straitstimes.com

  • Easy access any time via ST app on 1 mobile device

  • E-paper with 2-week archive so you won't miss out on content that matters to you

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.