RIGHT MOVES continued on PAGE 12
The Straits Times is published and distributed from the office of Singapore's pioneering businessman Aristarkies Sarkies at No.7 Commercial Square, now called Raffles Place. Sarkies was the uncle of The Straits Times' founder Catchick Moses.
Having outgrown the Cecil Street and Anson Road premises in 1955, The Straits Times moves to Times House, at the junction of River Valley and Kim Seng roads. The air-conditioned, two-storey news complex cost $991,332 to build. It housed The Straits Times, The Sunday Times, The Business Times, the former New Nation, The New Paper and its Sunday edition as well as Malay newspapers Berita Harian and Berita Minggu.The headquarters of The Straits Times is moved from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur because the working environment is seen as more stable in Malaysia than Singapore, which is leaning to the left politically. The headquarters is at Robson House in Pudu Road.
The Straits Times acquires regional presence this year, opening an office in Kuala Lumpur.
The newspaper moves to spacious rented offices in Finlayson Green.
After it is incorporated as a limited company, The Straits Times buys custom-built premises in Cecil Street at an auction, paying $3 per sq ft. The office and printing plant are moved to the new place in August 1903.
Work begins on new premises in Cecil Street. The new building, completed in 1933, is a state-of-the-art, steel-framed, four-storey building.