SINGAPORE - The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) on Saturday (June 27) announced it will drop out of the general election and not contest Bishan Toa-Payoh GRC as well as Marymount and Kebun Baru SMCs, constituencies it had earlier indicated it was eyeing.
With the dissolution of the Singapore First (SingFirst) party, this means there are currently 10 opposition parties looking to contest the upcoming general election.
DPP will instead support the informal alliance with Reform Party (RP) and People's Power Party (PPP), the party said as it accompanied PPP secretary-general Goh Meng Seng on his walkabout at MacPherson Market and Food Centre.
Mr Goh is contesting the single-member constituency.
DPP secretary-general Mohamad Hamim Aliyas said the party will actively help these other parties in their campaigning.
Speaking to the media, the 57-year-old said: "Right now the focus is on this general election and how we can still support each other like how we are showing support to Mr Goh...we have to be very collaborative in our political alliance."
After earlier announcing its interest in the three wards, DPP held talks with the RP, PPP, and SingFirst, to discuss the possibility of avoiding three-cornered contests with Progress Singapore Party (PSP).
But nothing was concluded.
The Singapore People's Party (SPP) has since announced it plans to contest Bishan-Toa Payoh, while PSP plans to stand in the single-seat constituencies of Marymount and Kebun Baru.
Looking ahead, Mr Hamim, said that the DPP hopes to expand by recruiting more volunteers and continue working on the ground.
"After the election, hopefully our energy stays strong and we still have good health, we will go to the ground and meet the people and survey the constituencies and discuss how to make... things better for the residents," said Mr Hamim.