(THE JAKARTA POST/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Those who love grilled dishes may have tried chicken satay. Featuring chicken on skewers served with peanut sauce, the dish pleases your taste buds with its sweet and savoury flavours.
Ciptoroso, chef de cuisine at Cinnamon restaurant in Mandarin Oriental hotel in Central Jakarta, says the secret behind delicious chicken satay is in the type of meat.
“Choose chicken thigh. The fat in chicken thigh makes the meat moist and tender,” he says.
Chef Ciptoroso shares a recipe for chicken satay.
200g chicken thigh
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Sweet soya sauce
150g fried peanuts
10g garlic, smashed
15g shallots, smashed
30g chilli, smashed
25ml sweet soya sauce
20g palm sugar
1. Cut the chicken thigh into small cubes. Set aside.
2. In a food processor or blender, add the turmeric, candlenut, garlic and shallots. Blend well.
3. Pour the spice mixture onto the chicken and mix well.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Marinate for one to two hours.
6. Mix the soya sauce with the chopped chillies and set aside.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the peanut sauce by blending the fried peanuts in a food processor or blender. Blend well.
8. In a pan, saute the garlic, shallots and red chilli until fragrant.
9. Add the peanut and lime leaves. Bring to a simmer. Continue to saute until the oil comes out.
10. Add the soya sauce and palm sugar. Mix well.
11. Turn off the heat, squeeze the lime juice into the sauce and mix well. Set aside the peanut sauce.
12. Thread the marinated chicken cubes onto the skewers.
13. Grill the chicken. Using a brush, spread the sweet soya sauce on the chicken. Repeat until the chicken is cooked.
14. Serve the chicken satay with the peanut sauce.