• 250g long beans
• 50g white cabbage
• 50g cucumber
• 250g bean sprouts
• 50g brinjal
• bird's eye chilli, to taste
• 500g peanuts, roasted
• 5 cloves garlic
• 10cm galangal
• 50g palm sugar
• 25g dried shrimp paste (belacan)
• salt, to taste
• 2 tbsp tamarind juice, or to taste
• 250ml hot water
• fried shallot crisps
• basil leaves
• emping (melinjo) crackers or keropok
1. Rinse the vegetables in warm water and drain.
2. Cut all except the beansprouts into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
To make peanut sauce
3. Pound bird's eye chillies, roasted peanuts, garlic, galangal, palm sugar, shrimp paste and salt together.
4. The consistency of the paste can vary according to your preference. Add tamarind juice and hot water and mix well.
5. Arrange the vegetables on a serving platter with the sauce.
6. Serve with basil leaves and emping, topped with fried shallots.