Rapper Lil Wayne warded for seizures

Rapper Lil Wayne performing at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards.
Rapper Lil Wayne performing at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards. PHOTO: REUTERS

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Grammy-winning rap star Lil Wayne was taken to hospital on Sunday (Sept 3) after suffering a seizure and being found unconscious in his Chicago hotel room, TMZ said on its website.

The 34-year-old, who has become one of the biggest names in rap music over a two-decade career, suffered a second seizure at the hospital, TMZ added.

His representative confirmed to the site that he had suffered multiple seizures.

The incident comes more than a year after the rap star, whose Grammy wins include the best rap album award in 2008 for Tha Carter III, was treated after suffering what his representatives called two minor seizures.

Four years ago, the rapper, whose given name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr, spent several days at a Los Angeles hospital, after which he told radio station Power 106 that he was epileptic and prone to seizures.

He had been set to perform in Las Vegas late on Sunday night.