A fire that broke out in a Canberra Street Housing Board flat is believed to be related to a personal mobility device (2 boys trapped, rescued from Canberra flat fire; PMD suspected to be cause; June 9).
With the high number of PMD users these days, could the relevant authorities enlighten the public on existing regulations governing the safety of PMD batteries?
Also, who would be held liable for the damage to common and neighbouring properties in instances like this?
Over the past two years, we have seen several fires stemming from overheated PMD batteries.
This has resulted in severe damage to homes and injuries to people.
The present advice given by the Singapore Civil Defence Force urging PMD users not to leave PMD batteries to be charged overnight and unattended is clearly insufficient.
Meng Chian Lee