The risks of buying properties in 99-to-1 share

Remote video URL
New: Gift this subscriber-only story to your friends and family

SINGAPORE - Impose a tax and it's pretty certain someone will devise a loophole, as is happening here, with crafty investors avoiding an anti-property speculation levy by allowing one buyer to own 99 per cent of a home while the other holds just 1 per cent.

While some believe this ownership set-up will help them save money when they want to buy more properties later, others are being misled by over-zealous real estate agents who have been giving faulty tax advice.

Already a subscriber? 

Read the full story and more at $9.90/month

Get exclusive reports and insights with more than 500 subscriber-only articles every month

Unlock these benefits

  • All subscriber-only content on ST app and

  • Easy access any time via ST app on 1 mobile device

  • E-paper with 2-week archive so you won't miss out on content that matters to you

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.