Ukraine's troops still advancing in Russia's Kursk region, Zelensky says
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
Ukrainian servicemen operating a Soviet-made T-72 tank in the Sumy region, near the border with Russia, on Aug 12.
PHOTO: AFP
KYIV - Ukraine said its major cross-border assault had advanced one to two kilometres in Russia's Kursk region since the start of Aug 14 and that its troops had finished clearing the Russian town of Sudzha of Moscow's forces.
Kyiv blindsided Moscow
In a video posted on his Telegram account, President Volodymyr Zelensky was shown being briefed by his top commander, Colonel-General Oleksandr Syrskyi, by video link.
"We continue to advance further in Kursk region. From one to two kilometres in various areas since the start of the day. And more than 100 Russian prisoners of war in the same period," Mr Zelensky wrote, in a statement published alongside the video.
Kyiv says it has taken control of more than 1,000 sq km of territory so far.
Gen Syrskiy said the Russian border town of Sudzha was fully under Ukrainian control.
"The search and destruction of the enemy in the settlement of Sudzha has been completed," he said in the video.
Reuters was unable to independently verify the situation on the ground.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed to hit back at Ukraine with a "worthy response" and accused Kyiv's "Western masters" of helping Ukraine. REUTERS


