US commander discusses scaling back joint South Korea drills, media reports
Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments
President Lee Jae Myung said civil defence exercises were aimed at safeguarding South Koreans’ lives and safety.
PHOTO: EPA
- US Forces Korea commander Xavier Brunson discussed scaling back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise following President Trump's instruction to reduce the drills.
- South Korean President Lee Jae Myung emphasised strengthening independent defence capabilities and continuing the wartime operational control transfer from the US.
- South Korea hopes US-North Korea dialogue will resume, viewing the joint exercises and civil defence drills as defensive and aimed at protecting citizens' safety, not threatening North Korea.
AI generated
SEOUL – US Forces Korea (USFK) commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea’s Defence Ministry on Aug 18 to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
The ministry and USFK did not immediately comment, but the reports came after US President Donald Trump instructed the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” the drills and said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had responded to his outreach.
Earlier on Aug 18, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung called for stronger independent defence capabilities, while saying annual civil-defence exercises held alongside the joint military drills were defensive and not intended to threaten North Korea.
Lee said Seoul should proceed without disruption with the planned transfer of wartime operational control from the US during his term, in line with the government’s existing plan.
“A strong alliance makes the foundation of security stronger, and strengthening our own capabilities increases our value and necessity as an ally,” he said in a Cabinet meeting, describing the US-South Korea alliance and independent defence as mutually reinforcing.
He also called for faster progress on South Korea’s nuclear-powered submarine programme and for developing officers capable of integrated operations for future conflicts, as distinctions between battlefields become less clear.
At a National Security Council meeting on Aug 18, Lee said the civil defence exercises held alongside major US-South Korea military drills were defensive in character, aimed at safeguarding South Koreans’ lives and safety. South Korea had no intention of using the exercises to attack North Korea or raise tensions on the Korean peninsula, Lee said, adding that their purpose was to protect citizens’ daily lives rather than target any particular party as an enemy, according to a statement by the presidential Blue House.
In a separate briefing on Aug 18, South Korea’s National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac said Seoul hoped Trump’s message would help revive dialogue between Washington and Pyongyang. “We hope the friendly relationship between the US and North Korean leaders will lead to meaningful North Korea-US dialogue.”
Such engagement, he said, could bring tangible progress towards peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula and help restart broader discussions.
Discussions over the joint military exercises come ahead of a visit by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi to South Korea on Aug 17 and Aug 18 for talks expected to cover developments on the Korean Peninsula and regional security issues.
The presidential office has also said it would continue coordinating closely with Washington on the allies’ combined defence posture and military exercises.
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises began on Aug 17 and are scheduled to run through Aug 27. REUTERS

