ISLAMABAD (AFP) - At least 69 people have been killed and hundreds more injured by an explosion in a crowded park in the Pakistani city of Lahore, where Christians were celebrating Easter.
The death toll is expected to rise. Pakistan Taleban splinter group Jamaat-ul-Ahrar told local and Western media it was behind the attack, BBC reported.
Here is a list of major attacks by militant groups, including the Pakistani Taleban, since 2007:
- Oct 18: Bomb attacks targeting former prime minister Benazir Bhutto kill 139 people in Karachi as she returns to Pakistan for the first time in eight years. She is killed in another gun and suicide attack on Dec 27.
- Aug 21: Twin suicide attacks kill 64 people outside Pakistan's main arms factory in Wah near Islamabad.
Sept 20: Sixty people are killed when a suicide truck bomb brings down part of the five-star Marriott hotel in Islamabad.
- Oct 28: A car bomb destroys a market in the north-western city of Peshawar, killing 125 people.
- Jan 1: A suicide car bomb kills 101 people at a village volleyball game in the north-western district of Bannu.
- March 12: Twin suicide attacks on the military in Lahore kill 57.
- May 28: Gun and suicide attackers storm mosques belonging to the Ahmadi religious minority in Lahore, killing 82 people.
- July 9: A suicide bomber blows himself up in a busy market in the north-western Mohmand tribal district, killing 105 people.
- Sept 3: A suicide attack kills 59 at a Shi'ite Muslim rally in the south-western city of Quetta.
- Nov 5: A suicide bomber kills 68 people during Friday prayers in the north-west's Darra Adam Khel area.
- April 3: Fifty die after two suicide bombers attack a Sufi shrine in the central town of Dera Ghazi Khan.
- May 13: Two suicide bombers kill at least 98 people outside a police cadet training centre in Charsadda.
- Aug 19: A suicide bomber hits a mosque during Friday prayers in the tribal district of Khyber, killing at least 43.
- Jan 11: Thirty-five die when a remote-controlled bomb detonates in a market in the north-western tribal areas.
- Aug 16: Gunmen drag 20 Shi'ite Muslims off a bus and shoot them in the north-western district of Mansehra.
- Jan 10: A double suicide attack on a snooker club kills 92 in a Shi'ite Hazara neighbourhood of Quetta.
- Feb 16: A bomb at a market at Hazara Town, a Shi'ite Hazara neighbourhood in the suburbs of Quetta, kills 89.
- March 3: A car bomb explodes in a Shi'ite Muslim neighbourhood in Karachi, killing 45.
- July 27: Twin explosions at a busy marketplace in north-west Pakistan kill 41.
- Aug 9: A suicide bomber targets the funeral of a senior police officer in Quetta, killing 38.
- Sept 22: Eighty-two people die when two suicide bombers attack a church in Peshawar after a Sunday service.
- Sept 29: A car bomb in a busy market area in Peshawar kills 42.
- Jan 19: A bomb rips through a military convoy in the north-western city of Bannu, killing 20 soldiers.
- Jan 21: A bomb on a bus kills 24 Shi'ite pilgrims in the south-western province of Balochistan.
- June 10: Ten Taleban militants lay siege to Karachi airport, killing 27 people.
- Nov 2: Fifty-five people are killed by a suicide bomber at the daily closing ceremony at the main Pakistan-India border crossing.
- Dec 16: Taleban insurgents storm an army-run school in Peshawar, killing more than 150 people, the majority of them children.
- Jan 30: Sixty-two people are killed as a suicide bomber hits a Shi'ite mosque in the Shikarpur district.
- Feb 13: Militants attack a Shi'ite mosque in Peshawar, killing 22.
- March 15: The Taleban kill 17 people in twin suicide attacks that targeted churches in Lahore.
- May 13: Forty-three Shi'ite Muslims are killed when gunmen open fire on their bus in Karachi.
- Sept 18: The Pakistani Taleban attack an air force base near Peshawar and kill at least 29 people, most of them servicemen.
- Oct 23: A suspected suicide blast which targeted Shi'ite Muslims in the southern city of Jacobabad kills 24.
- Dec 13: A bomb rips through a crowded bazaar in a mainly Shi'ite area of Pakistan's north-western tribal region, killing at least 23.
- Dec 29: A Taleban suicide bomber on a motorcycle kills 26 in the north-western town of Mardan.
- Jan 20: Taleban gunmen attack a university in Charsadda, killing at least 21.
- March 27: At least 69 people are killed and hundreds injured in an explosion near a park in Lahore.