India confirms it lost fighter jets in recent Pakistan conflict
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
Indian security force personnel stand guard near the site of a fighter jet crash in Wuyan in India-administered Kashmir's Pulwama district on May 7.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Follow topic:
India’s military confirmed for the first time that it lost an unspecified number of fighter jets in clashes with Pakistan in May, while saying the four-day conflict never came close to the point of nuclear war.
What is important is not that the jets were downed, but why they were downed, General Anil Chauhan, Chief of Defence Staff of the Indian Armed Forces, said in an interview with Bloomberg TV on May 31, while attending the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore.
He called Pakistan’s claims
“Why they were down, what mistakes were made – that (is) important,” Gen Chauhan said when asked about the fighter jets. “Numbers are not important,” he added.
“The good part is that we are able to understand the tactical mistake which we made, remedy it, rectify it, and then implement it again after two days and fly all our jets again, targeting at long range,” Gen Chauhan said.
The comments are the most direct yet from an Indian government or military official on the fate of the country’s fighter jets during the conflict with Pakistan that erupted on May 7.
Earlier in May, Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said his country shot down six Indian fighter jets, an assertion that has not been independently verified.
India’s government had earlier refrained from commenting on whether it lost aircraft in the fighting.
The clash was the worst between the nuclear-armed neighbours in half a century, with both sides trading air, drone and missile strikes, as well as artillery and small arms fire along their shared border.
It was triggered by a gruesome attack in Indian-controlled Kashmir on April 22, which saw gunmen kill 26 civilians in what India called an act of terrorism orchestrated by Pakistan.
Leaders in Islamabad denied involvement.
Gen Chauhan declined to comment on President Donald Trump’s claim that the US helped to avert a nuclear war, but said it was “far-fetched” to suggest either side was close to using atomic weapons.
“I personally feel that there is a lot of space between conduct of conventional operations and the nuclear threshold,” Gen Chauhan said.
Channels of communication with Pakistan “were always open” to control the situation, he added, noting that on the escalation ladder there were “more sub-ladders which can be exploited for settling out our issues” without needing to resort to nuclear weapons.
Gen Chauhan also played down Pakistan’s claims about the effectiveness of weaponry deployed from China and other countries, saying they “didn’t work”.
A research group under India’s Defence Ministry said in May that China provided Pakistan with air defence and satellite support during its clash with India.
“We were able to do precision strikes on heavily air-defended airfields of Pakistan... 300km inside, with the precision of a metre,” the Indian military chief said.
India and Pakistan have sent delegations to global capitals to influence international perception of the conflict. Gen Chauhan said the cessation of hostilities is holding, and will depend on Pakistan’s actions in the future.
“We have laid clear red lines,” he said. BLOOMBERG

