3 killed, 60 fall ill after consuming contaminated food in India

NEW DELHI (XINHUA) - At least three people were killed and over 60 others fell ill, some of them critically, immediately after consuming food during a house ceremony in India's western state of Maharashtra, police said on Tuesday (June 19).

The incident took place in Mahad village of Raigad district, 113km south of Mumbai, the capital city of Maharashtra.

"Last night over 60 people were hospitalised after they complained of nausea and vomiting. Three of them died and some are stated to be critical," a police official said.

"These people had consumed food at a house-warming ceremony in the village."

Reports said around 500 people have been invited for dinner on Monday evening by the house owner.

"Children and a few adults ate first, while the remaining ones were to be served later in the night," the police official said. "When the children who had just finished dinner began to vomit, a panic was triggered."

Doctors said it seemed to be an apparent case of food poisoning.

Authorities have ordered a probe into the incident.

Police officials said they have seized the food samples from the house and initiated investigations into the deaths.