PETALING JAYA (The Star/Asia News Network) - On the second anniversary of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17's downing on Sunday (July 17), Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak assures the victims' families that the Government will continue its efforts to obtain a clear explanation on the tragedy.
"The Malaysian Government continues all efforts to find a full and satisfactory explanation of the events that led to this tragedy," Najib said on his Twitter account on Sunday.
The Boeing 777-200ER airliner was shot down en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur on July 17, 2014, over a conflict zone in eastern Ukraine, killing all 298 people on board.
The Dutch Safety Board concluded last year in its final report that Flight MH17 was shot down over eastern Ukraine by a Russian-made Buk missile.
Najib said it was a criminal act that outraged the world.
"We will never forget the passengers and crew, nor the grief of the victims' families. Our thoughts and prayers are with them," he said.
Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai had said Malaysia was committed to bringing the criminals to justice, and identifying the perpetrators was the primary objective.
He said with the Joint Investigation Team (JIT)'s criminal investigations ongoing, the Government hoped to receive the preliminary conclusion on the forensic research, including the type of weapon used and other pertinent details, later this year.