Indonesian man whose phone exploded was not using battery manufactured by Samsung

Remote video URL

JAKARTA - An Indonesian man whose Samsung phone exploded, setting his shirt on fire, was using a battery that was not manufactured by Samsung, the electronics giant said.

"From a thorough investigation, we have found that the battery used in the device was not manufactured by Samsung or a company authorised by Samsung," a company spokesman told CNET in an e-mail.

"We sincerely wish for our customer's swift recovery, and strongly recommend all our consumers to use Samsung's genuine or approved batteries that have been specifically designed for use in Samsung products," CNET quoted the spokesman as saying on Oct 6.

The incident was captured in CCTV footage at an Indonesian hotel, according to media reports. The terrifying moment when the man's phone burst into flames has since gone viral on social media in Indonesia.

The incident happened at the Hotel Ciputra in the Indonesian city of Semarang on Saturday (Sept 30), the Daily Mail reported.

In the video, the man, identified as hotel supervisor Yulianto, can be seen touching his phone through his shirt just seconds before sparks began flying from his pocket.

His shirt was quickly set alight, with the stunned 47-year-old seen rolling on the floor while ripping off his shirt.

The Central Java Regional Police said the Samsung phone was a Grand Duos model, which Indonesian media reported was released in 2013.

"Mr Yulianto immediately removed his shirt after the phone exploded. He had no significant injuries," the Daily Mail quoted Agus Triatmojo, the Central Java Regional Police's head of public relations as saying.

Yulianto reportedly sustained only minor injuries in the incident.

Samsung has previously been under fire over the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 model which was recalled due to its exploding batteries.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.