Tight security ahead of judicial review of Indonesia terrorist Abu Bakar Bashir

Abu Bakar Bashir.
Abu Bakar Bashir.PHOTO: ST FILE

JAKARTA (THE JAKARTA POST/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Security has been stepped up in Cilacap, central Java, ahead of the judicial review of notorious terrorist convict Abu Bakar Bashir on Tuesday (Jan 12).

Central Java Justice and Human Rights Agency spokesman Molyanto said that his office had coordinated with the Cilacap Police, the Cilacap administration, the National Police's Densus 88 counterterrorism squad and the National Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) to help secure Cilacap for the duration of the trial.

"Security has been good so far, especially at the Cilacap District Court," he said on Sunday.

Security personnel are also guarding entry points to Cilacap, vital installations, city corners and the area around the Nusakambangan penal island where Bashir is currently incarcerated.

Cilacap Police Chief Ulung Sampurna Jaya said his office had assigned all units, from traffic police, the Sabhara rapid response unit to the detective unit.

"We have assigned all units to anticipate undesirable occurrences prior to, during and after the trial," he said.

The police had checked the identity of every person entering the Cilacap area since last Friday, he added.

Moreover, people wanting to cross over to Nusakambangan Island had to go through a tight security check. Police have been guarding Wijaya Pura Pier as it is the entrance to the island.

Police predict that hundreds of Bashir supporters will attend the court hearing on Tuesday. His judicial review is being held at the Cilacap District Court as requested by his team of attorneys.

The team lodged a request with the South Jakarta District Court in November to move the trial location from Jakarta to Cilacap, considering Bashir's advanced age and poor health. The request was approved by the court in early December.

Bashir, the spiritual leader of Islamic organisation Jamaah Ansharut Tauhid (JAT), filed for a judicial review against his 15-year prison sentence handed down in 2011. He was declared guilty of funding a military training camp for a terrorist group in Aceh.