KOTA KINABALU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Three Malaysian students in Labuan, Sabah were injured when a thermometer fell and broke Thursday morning (Sept 29).
Cherliz Toecey Yahya had slight injuries on his eyes, Irdina Aisyah Sarakawi injured her hand while another student, Jillyanatanya, suffered itchiness on her body following the 7.30am incident.
The students were in the science laboratory carrying out an experiment using the pen-sized thermometer when it fell.
Firemen took two hours to clear the mercury which spilled from the thermometer.
Labuan Fire and Rescue Department operations commander Mohd Wildan Azhari said a team of 25 firemen was sent to the school - SM Sains in Sungai Miri - following a distress call.
"The students were slightly injured after coming into contact with the mercury and glass shards," he said.
"They have all been sent for treatment at the nearby hospital," he said.