JOHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A serial attacker terrorising the public in a five-month spree involving 26 incidents has been arrested by police in Taman Johor Jaya here.
Johor police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Rusli Ahmad said on Thursday that the man was suspected to be involved in 26 cases, with the most recent happening on Aug 31.
He said that the suspect would use chemicals such as thinner on his victims before assaulting them with weapons such as stones, glass bottles and rods.
"The police set up a special task force to track him down and we eventually we spotted a man riding a blue-coloured Yamaha Lagenda along Jalan Dedap 13 in Taman Johor Jaya at around 9pm on Sept 1.
"Initial checks on the man found that he was wanted for a murder case at Jinjang in Sentul last year," he said.
Further investigations revealed his motorcycle had a fake registration number and had been reported stolen.
SDCP Rusli said investigations revealed that the man matched the description of the suspect, whose image was caught on camera on Aug 30.
He added that a team of officers then raided the suspect's rented house along Jalan Keembong 12 where they recovered four iron rods, four helmets and clothes.
"The suspect works at a iron manufacturing workshop, which may explain how he got his hands on the rod.
"He admitted he was the one behind the attacks, which he claimed was due to voices in his head telling him to do it. We will send the suspect for a mental evaluation," he said.
SCDP Rusli also said the case is being investigated under Section 324 of the Penal Code and the suspect is currently being remanded until Sept 5 to assist with investigations.