PETALING JAYA - The Sarawak Report website has said it is undeterred despite having been blocked by Malaysian authorities on Sunday, vowing to continue publishing its 'exposes' on the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) saga.
The website has been a main source of allegations of wrongdoing regarding 1MDB, and has published several stories on the government investment firm.
Access to the anti-government whistle-blower blog was blocked by the Malaysian Communications And Multimedia Commission (MCMC) on the grounds that it may undermine the stability of the country.
In response, Sarawak Report editor Clare Rewcastle Brown said the website would not be deterred by the MCMC move.
In a statement released Sunday on its Facebook page, the website said: "Sarawak Report will not be impeded in any way by this action in bringing out future information as and when its investigations deliver further evidence."
"This latest blow to media freedom only brings further discredit upon the present administration, who have proven unable to counter the evidence we have presented in any other way."
Sarawak Report has previously published reports alleging that billions of ringgit linked to the debt-laden 1MDB had found their way into Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak's personal bank accounts. Similar reports had also been carried in the Wall Street Journal.
Earlier Sunday, the MCMC said in a post on its Facebook site that the website was blocked after receiving numerous complaints from the public that it was posting unsubstantiated information, The Star reported.
"The website has been blocked under Section 211 and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998," said the MCMC.
The MCMC also said access would be blocked until the Special Task Force looking into the allegations over 1MDB had completed its investigations.
It advised the public to be cautious when sharing information over social media, which could cause unrest and destabilise the country if it was false.