KOTA KINABALU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A section of Mount Kinabalu collapsed on Saturday (Oct 21) due to continuous rain and strong winds.
However, the incident did not cause any damage or injuries as it occurred about 1.5km from the nearest building.
The collapsed section, comprising soil and boulders, had fallen into the Mesilou river area.
The incident ocurred at 5pm.
The location is close to an old resort which had been shut down after it was damaged in the Mount Kinabalu quake on June 5, 2015.
Sabah Civil Defence Department acting director Lft Kol Mohd Izaimi Md Daud said several officials were sent to the scene to assess the damage and speak with villagers after receiving an alert at about 5.45pm.
"From what we observed so far, everything is under control," he said.
"The river flow is normal and we urge all villagers not to panic," he said.
Mohd Izaimi said they were monitoring the situation.